Installing and upgrading your xenforo style

Ehren

Administrator
Staff member
Customer
Website
www.xenfocus.com
Follow these steps to install your xenfocus style.

Method 1 (for xenforo 2.2 or newer):

1. Download the style from the Client Area.

2. Unzip the file on your computer, and you should see:
- xenfocus-readme.html
- style-*****.zip

3. Log into your admin cpanel, select the "Appearance" tab > and click the Import button.

Import button.png

4. Browse for the .zip file from your computer and press Import.

Import theme.png

5. Once the style has been imported, we want to create a Child style which allows us to easily modify and upgrade the style if necessary. To do so, click the Add style button at the top, add your own Title and Description, and change the Parent Style option to your newly installed xenfocus theme.

Create child.png

6. Now that your Child theme has been created, visit the Styles page and disable the Parent style for members since it's no longer necessary. Disabling the style simply removes it from the Style Picker at the bottom of your site. You can also set your Child style as default (if required).

Done.png

7. All done! If you ever need to modify the style: modify the Child style but keep the Parent style untouched. If you ever need to upgrade the style, you simply import the new version, replace the Parent style when prompted, and your Child style will automatically update!

If you need to modify your theme, try and add all of your css changes into extra.less, and avoid modifying any of the template files if possible. This will make future theme updates very simple. :)

Method 2 (for xenforo 2.1 or older):

1. Download the style from the Client Area.

2. Unzip the file on your computer, and you should see:
- xenfocus-readme.html
- style-*****.xml
- "styles" folder which contains the images for your style

3. Using an FTP program, upload the styles folder to your xenforo folder. There will already be a styles folder, so simply merge the folders so they become one.

4. Log into your admin cpanel, select the "Appearance" tab > Import a style, and import the .xml file.

5. Once the style has been imported, we want to create a Child style which allows us to easily modify and upgrade the style if necessary. To do so, click the Add style button at the top, add your own Title and Description, and change the Parent Style option to your newly installed xenfocus theme.

6. Now that your Child theme has been created, visit the Styles page and disable the Parent style for members since it's no longer necessary. Disabling the style simply removes it from the Style Picker at the bottom of your site. You can also set your Child style as default (if required).

7. All done! If you ever need to modify the style: modify the Child style but keep the Parent style untouched. If you ever need to upgrade the style, you simply import the new version, replace the Parent style when prompted, and your Child style will automatically update!

If you need to modify your theme, try and add all of your css changes into extra.less, and avoid modifying any of the template files if possible. This will make future theme updates very simple. :)

Last edited:

Jared26

I am trying to upgrade my themes across my sites and am running into issues. Here it says to install the zip and overwrite the current parent theme, however on none of my sites to I get the option to upload an archive file, XML only. Is there a change XenForo made somewhere or am I missing something?

Thanks

Ehren

Administrator
Staff member
Customer
Website
www.xenfocus.com
I am trying to upgrade my themes across my sites and am running into issues. Here it says to install the zip and overwrite the current parent theme, however on none of my sites to I get the option to upload an archive file, XML only. Is there a change XenForo made somewhere or am I missing something?

Thanks
Hi Jared,

If you open the zip file on your computer, you'll be able to access the .xml file and can import that to upgrade your theme :)

Ehren

Administrator
Staff member
Customer
Website
www.xenfocus.com
Hi @suen

You should only install Uniform Dark as a child of Uniform Light if you’ve purchased the Uniform Pro bundle. In this situation, Uniform Dark will be an .xml file only a few kb in size.

If you purchased the themes separately, the themes should be installed as separate themes.

I hope that helps! :)

vicontrol

Customer
OK, so I just renewed my Uniform Pro license and downloaded the file.

Is METHOD 1 still applicable for Uniform Pro?

suen

Customer
Since the Pro themes are made of a Parent theme and Child theme, they have their own installation/upgrade instructions which can be found here.
This is actually what Im lookin for, the pro bundle zip file only includes instructions for non-pro themes. It should be updated to include a link/shortcut to pro themes install/upgrade instructions.

Rigo

I just did the update and it said I had some templates not updated or something like that. I clicked on the link and this showed:
Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 12-34-55 Outdated templates The Fig Spot - Admin control panel.png

What do I do now, just click merge?

Ehren

Administrator
Staff member
Customer
Website
www.xenfocus.com
Hi @Rigo

That typically indicates that those template files have been modified at some point in the past. Some modifications require edits to the PAGE_CONTAINER template file, but all css changes should be applied to extra.less (the xenfocus_base.less file should never be edited).

The merge feature hasn't always been reliable for me. I get an error saying:
No previous version of the parent could be found. Merging is not possible.

To fix the .less file, I'd recommend reverting it so it matches the parent. If you've made any important changes to that file, move them into extra.less instead.

To fix PAGE_CONTAINER, I'd temporarily copy/paste the code into an empty Notepad/TextEdit document (so you can easily restore it if the merge isn't successful), and then I'd click Merge. If you haven't intentionally edited that file before, reverting it will restore it back to the default code.

No changes have been made to the event logo file, so you can safely ignore that one :)

Sola

Your instruction says:

Log into your admin cpanel, select the "Appearance" tab > and click the Import button.

I have the current XF version. I don't see any IMPORT option Under APPEARANCE in the Admin area. What am I missing?

Thanks.

SPR

How do I update a Pro theme? I have the illuminate Pro with two forums, on two domains and would like to update the dark theme for forum 1 and the light theme for forum 2.
The path is different than if you only have a solo license.