Installing and upgrading your xenforo style

Ehren

Administrator
Staff member
Customer
Website
www.xenfocus.com
Follow these steps to install your xenfocus style.

Method 1 (for xenforo 2.2 or newer):

1. Download the style from the Client Area.

2. Unzip the file on your computer, and you should see:
- xenfocus-readme.html
- style-*****.zip

3. Log into your admin cpanel, select the "Appearance" tab > and click the Import button.

Import button.png

4. Browse for the .zip file from your computer and press Import.

Import theme.png

5. Once the style has been imported, we want to create a Child style which allows us to easily modify and upgrade the style if necessary. To do so, click the Add style button at the top, add your own Title and Description, and change the Parent Style option to your newly installed xenfocus theme.

Create child.png

6. Now that your Child theme has been created, visit the Styles page and disable the Parent style for members since it's no longer necessary. Disabling the style simply removes it from the Style Picker at the bottom of your site. You can also set your Child style as default (if required).

Done.png

7. All done! If you ever need to modify the style: modify the Child style but keep the Parent style untouched. If you ever need to upgrade the style, you simply import the new version, replace the Parent style when prompted, and your Child style will automatically update!

If you need to modify your theme, try and add all of your css changes into extra.less, and avoid modifying any of the template files if possible. This will make future theme updates very simple. :)

Method 2 (for xenforo 2.1 or older):

- xenfocus-readme.html
- style-*****.xml
- "styles" folder which contains the images for your style

3. Using an FTP program, upload the styles folder to your xenforo folder. There will already be a styles folder, so simply merge the folders so they become one.

4. Log into your admin cpanel, select the "Appearance" tab > Import a style, and import the .xml file.

5. Once the style has been imported, we want to create a Child style which allows us to easily modify and upgrade the style if necessary. To do so, click the Add style button at the top, add your own Title and Description, and change the Parent Style option to your newly installed xenfocus theme.

6. Now that your Child theme has been created, visit the Styles page and disable the Parent style for members since it's no longer necessary. Disabling the style simply removes it from the Style Picker at the bottom of your site. You can also set your Child style as default (if required).

7. All done! If you ever need to modify the style: modify the Child style but keep the Parent style untouched. If you ever need to upgrade the style, you simply import the new version, replace the Parent style when prompted, and your Child style will automatically update!

If you need to modify your theme, try and add all of your css changes into extra.less, and avoid modifying any of the template files if possible. This will make future theme updates very simple. :)

Last edited:

Recep Baltaş

Customer
OK, I really don't want to set eveything over and over again after every single update! Now please tell me how to update to latest verison and NOT lose my god damn settings! I'm on 2.0.4.1.

Dermot

OK, I really don't want to set eveything over and over again after every single update! Now please tell me how to update to latest verison and NOT lose my god damn settings! I'm on 2.0.4.1.

You need to make your skin a child of the main skin, then just update the main skin every time.

so pick add style...name it whatever you want under title..
add a description..whatever you want to say about it
under parent style, pick the main skin your one will derive from..aka, titan, carbon..etc
the tick if you want users allowed to pick it

..then when the main skin needs an update, update it and your child skin should stay, settings and all but also be updated.

nzkiwi

Followed your upgrade instructions, Not happy lost my logo lost all my footer information.
I'm going to do a full back up reinstall via cpanel. Can you please tell us how to update to the latest version Dimension 2.0.7
without losing my information and settings.

Thank you

Ehren

Administrator
Staff member
Customer
Website
www.xenfocus.com
Followed your upgrade instructions, Not happy lost my logo lost all my footer information.
I'm going to do a full back up reinstall via cpanel. Can you please tell us how to update to the latest version Dimension 2.0.7
without losing my information and settings.

Thank you
Hello,

I have recently followed these instructions myself and it worked without any issues. All of my existing style properties (which were applied to the child theme) were maintained throughout the upgrade.

Just to confirm, step 7 (in the first post) and step 4 (in the second post) are the important parts. Only apply your modifications to the child theme, and when it comes time to upgrade, make sure you only upgrade the parent theme. If those steps were followed correctly and you still lost data, I can only assume it's an issue with the xenforo software since my themes don't alter the behaviour of the actual theme system.

johnb35

Just installed uniform style and selected it for use, have not created the child theme yet. Just checking it out before I make any changes. However, we lost logo, and acp, moderator and reports access. How to fix? Does creating the child style fix these issues?

johnb35

It's not setup as default style yet

https://pctechforum.net/forum/

It seems acp and moderator bar just changed locations, it used to be up top. But we still have no logo on the new style, also have created the child style now. I've removed the mega footer for now. Here is what default and new themes look like.

Attachments

• default theme.jpg
    default theme.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 50
  • new theme.jpg
    new theme.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Ehren

Administrator
Staff member
Customer
Website
www.xenfocus.com
Follow these steps to upgrade your xenfocus style.

Note: This method works best if you haven't modified any of the template files. The only exception is extra.less which you can freely modify. If you have modified any other template files, you may need to revert the changes and reapply them once the theme has been updated.

Method 1 (for xenforo 2.2 or newer):

- xenfocus-readme.html
- style-*****.zip

4. Log into your admin cpanel, select the "Appearance" tab > Import, and browse for the .zip file. Choose the Overwrite style option and select your Parent xenfocus style from the list.

Upgrade.png

5. Done!

Method 2 (for xenforo 2.1 or older):

- xenfocus-readme.html
- style-*****.xml
- "styles" folder which contains the images for your style

3. In some cases, there may be new/modified files inside the styles folder. These files will be mentioned in the change log. If this is the case, upload the files to your xenforo folder using an FTP program.

4. Log into your admin cpanel, select the "Appearance" tab > Import a style, and browse for the .xml file. Choose the Overwrite style option and select your Parent xenfocus style from the list.

5. Done!

Last edited: